Sunday, January 27, 2013

1/27/13 - Rest

Got up early and had our cooking done before church this morning. Great feeling having the whole day ahead of you. Cleaned the house a little bit, work on Mobility Kits for a while. Now time to relax.

Last week after the competition, during my deload, it was nice to have some extra time to catch up on some projects I've wanted to knock out for a while. Several months ago I found this 1950's vintage RCA Victor home stereo console at my dads cabin.
Do you see what I see?

I thought it would be a neat restoration project. It was pretty much stripped down from all the original components, so replacing the dial am/fm radio could be pretty difficult. Instead, I had the idea of retrofitting something modern into it. I love music and am constantly playing from my iPod Touch so why not go with something that I will use everyday. I had originally bought a big bad Pioneer home stereo receiver. It turned out to be more than I needed and was just too big to fit in the face of the radio. I wanted to keep it as original as possible. After several weeks of patience and the help of Brandi surfing the web we found a small Sony micro system with a wireless bluetooth connection. It turned out to be a perfect fit! Great sound too! I already had a set of home speakers I was going to use but this stereo came with a set of small components that sound great! Bluetooth pics up from across the house. I now roll over in bed when I wake and can turn on jams that fill the house from my ipod.



Dry fit. Looks good!


First coat of stain.

Second cut, before urethane. 


Done!






I already had some stain and urethane, plus I used a piece of scrap wood from another project for the front trim. For just over $100 this bad boy is up and running, doing what it was originally built for, home entertainment. Feels good to bring something so old back to life. Looking forward to having it for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment